Sunday, July 3, 2011

Keeping up with technology...I'm years behind!!

So here I am, just starting out, and it's already so hard to keep up!!!  I already follow other professional blogs, find music therapists on Twitter, network on Facebook and LinkedIn, respond to advertising quotes via email and my FREE google voice number (also: thumbtack, vistaprint, google adwords, etc.). I attend conferences and meetings (when I can afford to), then I visit meetup to see if there are any small business meetings happening in my area.  And here I am...still lost...more lost than before!  Even though my husband does all the web design and programming, I still feel like I'm sooo far behind.

How do all these music therapists find time to do sessions, run a business, network online and in person, do special projects, and update their blogs, all while staying connected and always moving forward with something new.  I'm amazed by the success of the MT's who have started the MT roundtable....http://musictherapyroundtable.com/about.  They're able to do it all, and still get to enjoy the part of being clinical MT's.  Oh yeah...did I mention keeping up certification with CBMT and maintaining membership dues with the AMTA, all while balancing a guitar on your nose, playing the didgeridoo upside down, and well...it's all like the Cat in the Hat.  But seriously....a MT has to be able to do it all, while still keeping sane and balancing the act of business and clinical work.

I could go on forever...but, instead I would like to say that I am proud to be taking baby steps forward, and learning my way through the technology!  I'm overwhelmed, but amazed. And, I'm loving the potential of growth in the field of MT through technology.  I am predicting that "online networking" (or something of the sorts) will be added to the MT curriculum in just a few years. (too bad I missed that class).

So as I learn how to run a business and develop my practice, I will be staying connected to the world of MT through this screen of information.  If you are in my boat, or have been, or wish to be, please do let us all know....start a blog, start a facebook group, and get tweeting.  It doesn't take much know-how to figure out the basics of it all...just lots of time at first :/ Oh yeah, it's also all FREE! You don't have to invest any money, and your business won't start out in a financial ditch.  And if time is of the essence...there are better ways to manage it all...even link them all up...(dear fellow MT bloggers:  How do you manage it all?)  Well...I know there are ways, but I'm still learning! Right now, my personal focus is all about starting a quality business, changing the world through MT, and figuring out how the heck I'm supposed to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment